When we first moved into our new house here in Charleston it was as if we’d been transported to a wild jungle. The yard hadn’t been maintained for years, so that the grass, weeds and whatever else was hidden in there was taller than me.
This was also causing a serious bug problem. When I first stepped onto the back porch to snap a few photos I was eaten alive. In 30 seconds, I had more than a dozen mosquito bites.
Something had to be done. Luckily our landlord agreed to hire someone and by the end of the week we went from Welcome to the Jungle to I’m a Sad Sack Barren Wasteland. Basically we have a boring vanilla box yard, but vanilla box I can work with. Here’s a few before and after shots:
Front: Before & After
Sideyard: Before & After
Backyard: Before & After
There’s still a pretty serious bug problems out here, which doesn’t bode well for backyard BBQs. It’s hard to get rid of bugs, especially ones that have been living in the lap of luxury for over 3 years. This is the south, but I’m a stubborn nester and I have a few tricks up my sleeve 😉
Here are a few of the projects we have planned for the yard:
- Veggie Garden: This is already in the works, as we’re planning a pretty sweet little fall garden, which will include sugar snap peas, winter squash, pumpkins and various greens and lettuce.
- Fire Pit: There was a sad excuse for an in ground fire pit here when we moved in, which I promptly removed. I’ll be repurposing the bricks.
- Flowers: Flowers, flowers EVERYWHERE! Flowers on the front, flowers in the back, flowers in pots and gardens and windows…
- Enlarged Back Deck: There’s an awkwardly tiny deck on this house, which I’d love to enlarge. I will only complete this project if my landlord agrees to reimburse me for the supplies.
- Fiesta Lighting: Right now there is a single spotlight lighting the backyard. He will soon say goodbye in order to make way for party-ready hanging fiesta lights!
- Hammock: As is, our tree situation won’t work for our new hammock, so I’m working on a solution that doesn’t require a hammock stand.
- Outdoor Seating: I’ll be repurposing an old mattress for an awesome outdoor seating area and will also be building several pieces of outdoor furniture for entertaining.
Stay tuned! What are you doing in your backyard this summer?